Linked regeneration of the Camley Street 'Gateway Sites' to deliver a joined up strategy of employment benefits for new small and medium sized businesses, new homes including onsite affordable housing and significant public realm and accessibility improvements
Shaw Corporation has led the strategy, assembled the opportunity and secured consent to deliver the regeneration of these 'Gateway Sites' adjacent to the Kings Cross Regeneration Area and Regents Canal.
The Gateway Sites comprise 101, 102 and 103 Camley Street. Planning permission was granted in March 2012 for the first phase of regeneration at 103 Camley Street, which is now complete and occupied. 103 Camley Street was a joint venture with Regent Regeneration Limited and Urbanest and provides business Incubator space for new small businesses as well as student accommodation and private homes for rent. The Camley Street Incubator will be run in partnership between University College London and Camden Town Unlimited to provide state of the art low cost accommodation for start-up businesses with access to other benefits such as mentoring and networking with other local stakeholders. 103 Camley Street has also delivered significant new public realm enhancements such as step free access from Camley Street to canal level and new steps and access to the Regents Canal towpath as well as the foundations for a new pedestrian footbridge across to 101 Camley Street and Granary Street.
The London Borough of Camden has now granted planning permission for the redevelopment of 101 and 102 Camley Street. These two schemes will form the next phase of regeneration of the Camley Street Gateway Sites providing new homes including onsite affordable housing, commercial floorspace as 'move on' space for new small and medium sized businesses emerging from the Incubator at 103 Camley Street. They also complete the linked up strategy of public realm and accessibility improvements between the three Gateway Sites and an important link to the wider area including Kings Cross and Camden Town. Between them the two sites provide new publicly accessible open space, significant accessibility improvements including provision for the new pedestrian bridge allowing for step free access on both sides of the canal and new pedestrian and cycle access (part of the cycle network) to the canal towpath in the form of new steps and a ramp at 102 Camley Street.
The Gateway Sites deliver the following combined benefits:
- An Enterprise Incubator to potentially create 300 or more new enterprises a year to be leased to University College London (UCL) and operated jointly by UCL and CTU (Camden Town Unlimited - the Camden Town BID)
- A combined total of approximately 40,000 sq ft (3,700 sqm) gross commercial floorspace at 101 and 102 Camley Street for small and medium sized enterprises including the unique provision of affordable workspace as potential 'move on' space for new businesses emerging out of the Incubator and from the Collectives in Camden Town, UCL Advances and Camden's various Higher Education Institutions
- Over 300 new homes including 67 affordable homes, 40 private flats for rent only and a large proportion of family homes
- 350 student rooms for Camden's prestigious Universities and Higher Education Institutions
- Retail shop let to the Co-op - the first local shop in the area for many years
- Canalside cafe/restaurant
- Significant public realm improvements along the Regents Canal towpath, including opening up the towpath and providing new cycle and pedestrian access in the form of new steps and a ramp from Camley Street
- New landscaped public open space accessed from the Regents Canal towpath and Camley Street
- Provision for a new pedestrian footbridge, including step free access from canal level to Camley Street